Tuesday, September 4, 2018

I deleted my Facebook

As a forty first birthday present, I deleted my Facebook account... forever. There have been a number of reasons for this, but ultimately, I just never use my account.

I have been angry at Facebook since the 2016 elections where they knowing collected personal data and sold it to foreign companies. I was also angry about Facebook's refusal to take responsibility for all of the misinformation being originated and passed around it's platform. I was enraged about the Cambridge Analytica scandal. I was infuriated that Facebook dragged its feet to track and delete the foreign and domestic bots that had set up hundreds of thousands of fake accounts all with the intent of wreaking havoc to social discourse.

Facebook's lack of responsibility and greed for money has changed the political and social landscape, possibly forever. I do not believe it has been for the better, but for the worse.

Facebook finally began doing something about the aforementioned crimes, but it is 2018. For me it is too little too late.

Yet, I just read last week that Facebook is under investigation again for allowing anti-gay groups to advertise "gay-cure camps" on the Facebook pages of young LGBT people.

I have had it. I do not know much about it's interior structure, but Facebook is shaping up into being the social media equivalent of Monsanto. For those of you who do not know Monsanto, they are "Round Up," and they may be the most evil company on the face of the planet.

That is why I left, because I never use my account and I no longer wish to associate with Facebook.


Thank you for reading,
DocBDC